Wednesday, August 27, 2008

FOO BALL

I'll bet you didn't know that was two words. Without the "t." Leave it to a Southerner to explain the delicate ins and outs of language to you. Especially when it comes to that most intellectual of sports, "foo ball."

Allow me to illuminate. What you might call "football," a game with one pigskin, two teams, 22 players, a handful of oft-maligned referees, and tens of thousands of fanatics screaming in the stands (joined by millions more at home), I lovingly refer to as "foo ball." This is, of course, a word intended for oral usage. "Foo ball" fans aren't much for the written word. Unless it' s in the sports section, or comes with many, many pictures. Of women. Short of that, we "foo ball fans" lean toward verbal communication. With a decided emphasis on exclamatory words and phrases:

"Dammit!"

"No!"

"Argh!"

"Catch the ball you stupid moron!"

And so forth.

And so, beginning tomorrow night at 8:01 P.M., Eastern Standard Time, I, along with millions of my neanderthaloid brethren, will congregate once, twice, sometimes even thrice a week around the Purveyor of All Things Good and Holy (our televisions), consume ungodly amounts of beer and chicken wings (or brats, if you happen to be a Yankee), and cheer on our favorite foo ballers.

Heaven. Thank god for the fall.


Post script: my ever-so-attractive-and-understanding wife noted with total seriousness that the proper spelling may in fact be "foo baw." Maybe it's a regional thing. Dialects can be SO tricky, as my four year old would say.

5 comments:

Blecker said...

Having watched many a "foo ball" games with you, you have left out your most favorite phrase for yelling at the television screen.

"Hit him in the neck!!!!"

I, like you, will raise my glass tomorrow night to another glorious season of college "foo ball"! Cheers and Go Gators!

JBoxt said...

Ah, "hit him in the neck." I just got all warm and fuzzy inside. Thanks for that mis amigo.

Roni Ariel said...

I'm happy to be far and away from this very American tradition... when does soccer start?

Katie Bishop said...

Oh my goodness. Just read the blog and almost typed the exact same message as Ira. Hilarious! At least the first game of the season was good for us. I hear the second not so much!

Unknown said...

I think "hit him in the neck" was one of the comments flowing from a discussion (amid many empty beer cans) of the one thing most likely to stir fear in the hearts of opposing teams. Came from the college days...