Monday, February 23, 2009

Signaling a Change.

It is incredible to me to that in the state of Maryland, one of the most intelligent states in the union (a point that is backed up by data), there is no law that mandates the use of turn signals while changing lanes.

(I should now immediately apologize to the thousands of people I have yelled at in the last eight years. My old friend Andy coined this phrase, one that I have since used liberally: "Blinkers aren't optional (expletive)!! Itslaw!!")

It is even MORE incredible to me that there are OPPONENTS of this soon-to-be-law in Maryland. Here's to YOU, Mister McDonough of Baltimore County: you care so much about the civil liberties of we Marylanders, that you would publicly, ON THE RECORD, oppose a new turn signal law lest police feel emboldened to pull us over under the GUISE of a turn signal infraction and, say, find dead bodies in our trunk.

For years I have posited that DC-area drivers are some of the worst in the country; I am comforted in knowing that legally speaking, we have an excuse.

At least for now.

No comments: