Monday, September 1, 2008

Frightening.

So, for those of you who know me, you know that I am a partisan Dem but fairly moderate in my political views. I will admit (painfully) that I was a John Edwards fan, less because of his policies and more for his (get ready for it) character. When he departed, I was left with a very difficult choice, but in the end - for too many reasons to get into here - I voted for Hillary Clinton in my primary. Can I pick 'em or what?

Moving into the general election, I was one of those Dems who would probably in the end vote for Obama, but with less enthusiasm than many in Chicago would have liked to know. McCain today in my view is a far cry from the McCain who got eviscerated by Team Bush in South Carolina 8 years ago, but I could still live with him were he to be elected. That was, until three days ago.

Three days ago was when I learned, along with millions of my friends, that John McCain had chosen a fourteen year old student body president from Saskatchewan with 9 kids and a penchant for killing seals with bazookas as his running mate. Ok, so maybe I exaggerate a bit. My point is that I couldn't give a rat's ass about the fact that she is a 44-year old 20 month Governor (who took off time to have a baby), former Mayor of Wasilla, AK (pop: <10,000), a mother of five (and soon-to-be grandmother), pro-gun rights hunter. What I DO care about is that this woman is against all abortions, AT ANY TIME, is against the use of contraceptive devices, even by married people, and wants to see creationism taught in school.

Is this the version of America you want running around the East Wing?

So, call it all you want - it certainly is a big deal to have a woman with a legitimate chance to be Vice President. And I think getting a young (read: inexperienced) person in the White House isn't such a bad thing. And she has a record of thumbing her nose at the powers that be, which I find attractive.

But in three and a half years, when (if) President McCain is getting ready to wrap up his single term in office, THIS is the person who will be her party's presumptive nominee. Think about that. It scares the hell out of me. And, so, I just put an Obama yard sign up. Because a $3 yard sign is a heck of a lot cheaper than having to move to Saskatchewan.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mr. Boxtansky,
You've got two Saskatchewan references in one blog post, one of them quite gratuitous. As a future hockey dad, I've got to tell you you're skating on thin ice.

JBoxt said...

My middle name is danger. Besides, I would move to Saskatchewan before Alaska. Doesn't that count for something?