Monday, September 22, 2008

Kiss My Fannie.

One of the benefits of reading blogs (mine notwithstanding) is catching stories you might otherwise miss because, well, you have a life and can't possibly read every paper and story that is out there. This one caught my attention this morning. Not because of the connection between McCain, McCain's advisors, and the industry that has single handedly sent our financial system back to the 1920's; we all knew that Jonnie S and L McCain was in bed with these guys. What caught my eye was the overwhelming brazenness of the relationship between Fannie Mae (heretofore known affectionately as "my ass") and Rick Davis, McCain's campaign manager:

(From the NY Times)

"The value that he brought to the relationship was the closeness to Senator McCain and the possibility that Senator McCain was going to run for president again," said Robert McCarson, a former spokesman for Fannie Mae, who said that while he worked there from 2000 to 2002, Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac together paid Mr. Davis's firm $35,000 a month. Mr. Davis "didn't really do anything," Mr. McCarson, a Democrat, said.

Let's do the math together, shall we? Rick Davis took in roughly two million dollars to help "my ass" get really close to Jonnie S and L McCain. That's it. No long memos, thick, detailed research books, not even a mani and pedi. Just because my ass wanted to develop a nice little inroad to Jonnie S and L.

Ok, ok, ok. Let me get this straight. Jonnie S and L thinks Obama is part of the "Washington problem" because someone on his staff called the former Fannie Mae CEO to ask a couple of questions. Meanwhile, there are 19 former Wall Street lobbyists who are officially advising Jonnie S and L, including someone - WHO IS RUNNING HIS CAMPAIGN - who earned (I use that term lightly) $2 million to give the Pale Horseman an inside track to his boss. Now THERE'S change you can believe in!

I smell a little anger seeping in to my blog, so I think I should just leave it here. But I do want to point out that Jonnie S and L (I like the way that sounds) is even as I write running ads across the country, claiming for himself the mantle of "Washington outsider" in the midst of this economic Armageddon.

My ass.

No comments: