Wednesday, September 24, 2008

If I were Obama, this would be my response

to Senator McCain's request to postpone the foreign policy debate on Friday.

“I’m relieved to hear that Senator McCain has finally recognized that the fundamentals of our economy are in fact not strong, as he was insisting as recently as six days ago. I also applaud his commitment – which I share – to do whatever is necessary and prudent to turn our economy back in the right direction.

However, I must respectfully decline the Senator’s request to postpone our upcoming debate. I can think of nothing more important right now than the opportunity to stand in front of the American people and speak to their concerns, not only about the economy, but about our failed foreign policy, a foreign policy that has resulted in nearly a trillion dollars being spent on a war that was never needed, a trillion dollars that could have – should have – been spent here in the United States, a trillion dollars that would come in awfully handy right now.

I can also appreciate the Senator’s concern that the current economic crisis stands in the way of preparation for this debate, but I am quite frankly flummoxed by the idea that after nearly three decades in Washington, Senator McCain is unprepared to have a conversation about his foreign policy vision. There’s no question that in a global economy, how we engage the world is intimately connected to our economic health and well-being, and postponing this incredibly important but scant 90 minute conversation is not in the best interests of our country. Surely, an expert on foreign policy like Senator McCain could have this debate in his sleep.”

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Should you ever decide to run for anything, you'll have my vote.

Aaron Schwartz said...

Well said....er..blogged.

Unknown said...

I think the only way Barack Obama could lose this thing is if he came out and said "I'm frankly flummoxed."