Wednesday, September 3, 2008

If it smells like an elephant, it must be elephant crap.

This is a tough post for me, because in my heart I want to believe that I am a forgiving person, not a mean, vindictive, petty, shallow person. But after months of hedging, dodging, and plain ignoring, I have come to the conclusion that Joe Lieberman must be tossed, ass over tea kettle, out of the Democratic Party. No different than Zell Miller, this man has become an embarrassment to himself, his party, and the millions of people who gave their time and money to help elect him Vice President.

First, and this is no real crime in my book, Joe expressed a true and undying friendship with John McCain. Fine. I have a few of those too. No biggie.

Then he decided to support him for President, though he pledged at the time this was not about Obama, but really about John. And the war. Fine. I get it Joe. You're a hawk. I've had some of those tendencies myself over the years. And there are plenty of Dems who supported this war in Iraq. No reason to revoke your card on that count (despite the protestations of many).

Then he said he wouldn't out and out bash Obama, and even though he was supporting McCain for President, he would continue to vote with Democrats in the Senate. Now, this is a big deal, as the margin there isn't large, and when there were actual things being done in that chamber, we needed every vote we could get.

Now this is where things start to get slippery. Joe then begins to take shots at Obama, even joining in the McCain chorus of questioning his patriotism. Really? Really Joe? Coming from a guy who's had to absorb the very same accusations because of your full-throated support of Israel? REALLY?!?

And then we get to the RNC and the Palin pick. Now Joe, I understand your view that national security is our greatest issue today, and you support John because of Iraq and the war on terror. Truly, I understand. I disagree, but I understand. But I have a few questions for you.

One, who wrote your RNC speech? It's awful. Have you forgotten why you are a Democrat? It's not about choosing sides, or being less partisan, Joe. It's about standing up for the things you allegedly care about, cared about enough to accept the Democratic Party's nomination for Vice President. For a woman's right to choose. The right to organize. The right to attend school without fear of the invasion of religion. The right to access to quality health care. The right to live in a world that doesn't treat its backyard as a junkyard. Or how about enacting some sensible gun laws? Equal pay for equal work? Any of these things mean anything to you anymore?

Because if you bought the line from McCain that national security is our number one issue, how do you rhyme that with the choice of a 20-month tenured Governor from a state with fewer people than Rhode Island? A woman who has been outside of the United States ONCE? Is that the experience you are looking for? She's more experienced than Obama? My school system had more people than the town she was a "two-term Mayor" for. With an administrator. You have to be kidding.

And then there are HER positions. A woman who denies the human impact on climate change. A woman who is opposed to all abortions, even in cases where a woman's health is at risk (she makes Mitt Romney look like a flaming liberal). Pro-creationism. You think Obama's church was bad, Joe? Go spend a few months in HER church. You like Jews for Jesus, Joe? Because HER church does! I don't begrudge a woman her views, or her church. But what is good for the goose is good for the gander. You want to talk about associations, Joe? McCain CHOSE her. And not YOU. That means if HE wins, SHE wins. And when he is done, SHE is next. She really who you want there in the White House Joe? You think she'll do a lot of horse trading given her ideology, Joe? A lot of reaching across the aisle to overturn Roe v. Wade? To "drill here, drill now, drill everywhere, holy cow!?"

And don't get me started on the abuse of power stuff that is already starting to come out. Or how she was for the Bridge to Nowhere before she was against it. Or the memo she sent in February to Senator Ted outlining $200 million in federal earmarks she wanted for Alaska.

Joe, if she is really who you want making decisions in the White House about these issues, do us all a favor. Stop the charade. You're an elephant, Joe. And that makes me sad.

3 comments:

gil.dev said...

I've been saying this for months! I have to say the although Sarah Palin is clearly a horrible choice, I felt satisfaction in Lieberman getting rejected.

Talia Davis said...

Amen, brother. I can't believe Lieberman. I have no respect for the man. And Alaska Barbie? Don't get me started! www.twitter.com/thdpr

JC from SC said...

Joe was my favorite Dem a while back: not as wacky as the far left, but at the same time holding to the core values that make us Dems. What the hell happened?

BTW, that pic is classic. Is that guy behind her drinking a Schlitz?